Monday, June 30, 2008

Sideloading, the future of downloading

I have to give credit to Amazon and Michael Robertson for this idea. I say Michael Robertson because he created the SideLoad website which is where I draw inspiration from for this concept. I also mention Amazon because I've read articles in the past about how they are or were wanting to allow customers to keep a digital copy of all their purchases online. This will gain more relevance to Amazon as they move more and more of their inventory to digital content.

Overall the concept is simple, you go around the internet and save your purchases to a storage space in the cloud (as everyone likes to say). The difference is that this more easily enables you to share things with others to see. In some ways this conflicts with my idea that everything should be available via an unlimited subscription model. However, I'm gonna stay on the safe side and anticipate that they'll still be a strong demand for people to feel like they have some sort of personal ownership.